*Story/Principles/Values/What we want
In 1988 a small group of people who cared about their community decided they wanted to give a helping hand to families who were doing it tough. They went on to establish a small organisation in Angel St, Tweed Heads call the Tweed Valley Child, Youth and Family Services. Since 1988 the population of Tweed Shire has doubled, and life in our community is different in so many ways. We’ve seen a lot of change, but our values and vision for the communities we serve are true to our founders and we remain committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children, young people and families and work together to actively contribute to the vitality and wellbeing of our community.
We’ve grown with our community and our community partners. In 2014–15 we joined with St Joseph’s Youth Service, Byron Bay Youth House and Ballina Byron Family Centre to create a stronger and more sustainable organisation.
We’re now known as The Family Centre. We deliver services across the Tweed, Byron and Ballina Shires, and the Southern Gold Coast. We also provide services to people in the New England and North Coast regions.
More than 4600 people participate in Family Centre programs last year.
Life and relationships can get difficult for all of us at times. The Family Centre’s services are for children, young people, and families, and anyone in a family relationship.
We encourage and inspire people to make the changes they want for themselves, their family and their community.
During difficult times, we can assist with accurate information and referral to the services you may need. Help you to set goals and make plans to achieve them, develop life and relationship skills and the knowledge you need to resolve individual, family and community concerns. No matter how big or small your problems may be, you can talk with us.
We work together with our community to design activities that enhance parenting skills, improve relationships, and increase safety, wellbeing and personal effectiveness. Our activities also increase and strengthen family and community connections.
We’re a diverse and inclusive organisation driven by our values and practice principles that focus on building individual and community capability to develop solutions to social problems. Everyone has the ability to make a positive contribution to their community.
In genuine partnership with community members and groups, non-government organisations, government agencies and businesses, we make a real difference and our actions lead to progressive, measurable and sustainable social change.
The Family Centre is a local social purpose, community owned organisation established in 1988 and based on the North Coast of NSW.
* A social purpose organisation operates with the primary aim of achieving measurable social impact. Community owned organisations are those that are owned and controlled through representative processes that allow a community to influence their operation or use and enjoy the benefits.
Our Practice Principles
Wellbeing of Children and Young People
Evidence and Experience
Participaton and Contribution
Strengths and Solutions
Our work encourages people and communities to build on their strengths and focus on solutions.
We reflect on our practice to improve the quality and impact of our work
- Working for a just and equitable society
- Promoting participation, contribution and belonging
- Acknowledging human dignity and rights
- Responding without judgement
- Embracing diversity
- Acknowledging strengths and capabilities
- Maintaining relationships based on trust
- Taking responsibility for our actions
- Honesty and genuineness
- Creating opportunities for reflection and leadership
- Exploring ways to improve
- Being resourceful
- Co-designing solutions
- Commitment to working together
- Creating change through strong relationships
- Working in flexible and diverse ways
- Making a difference differently
- Adapt and thrive